Saturday, October 20, 2007

Presbyterianism in Clearfield County

From the Twentieth Century History of Clearfield County by Roland Swoope:

Presbyterian - In the first history of Clearfield county, published in 1878, we find the following lines:

"The first meeting house in Clearfield county was built in the year 1809 and was located at the site of McClure's cemetery. It was of the Presbyterian

To the members of this denomination, then, must be conceded the honor of
having erected the first house of worship in our county.

A church building was erected in Clearfield several years later, and one in Curwensville in 1826. These charges were admitted to the Huntingdon Presbytery,
which at that time had a total number of 558 communicants.

There is now a church membership of 3,111 in this county, and nineteen church buildings.

These statistics prove in a most convincing manner the marvelous growth of this denomination, and the powerful and thriving condition of the Presbyterian
church in Clearfield county at the present time.

No comments:

Post a Comment